Upward Together: 2022 HSD Parent Perception Survey Open Through 9/6...
The Hockinson School District Parent Perception Survey is open now. This survey covers a range of topics relating to academics, facilities, school culture, and student/family experiences in schools and the HSD. We want to hear from you so we can maintain our areas of strength, make improvements wherever needed, and go Upward Together in 2022-23 and beyond. Click HERE to share your thoughts.
...A Summary of the Spring 2022 Hockinson School District Parent Communications Survey Results
Hockinson Schools recognize that effectively communicating with families and our community is essential to school and student success. For this reason, in April Hockinson Schools surveyed families for feedback regarding school and district communications. Over 300 families responded to the anonymous survey, providing valuable perspectives on methods of communications utilized by our schools and district. Moving forward, this input will enable Hockinson Schools to respond to community needs, improve communications strategies, and best serve our students, families, and community.
Respondents represented a sample of families with students at schools across Hockinson School District with 54.8% reporting their student(s) attended Hockinson Elementary School, 35.5% Hockinson Middle School, and 46.2% Hockinson High School.
Five criteria were utilized to rate communications from Hockinson School District (HSD) and schools within HSD. Families rated communications based on their clarity, perceived accuracy, trustworthiness, timeliness, and transparency. Out of 300 respondents:
- 92.3% agree or strongly agree that communications received from Hockinson School District are understandable;
- 85.2% of respondents agree or strongly agree that they perceive communications received from Hockinson School District to be accurate;
- 79.9% of respondents agree or strongly agree that they perceive communications received from Hockinson School District to be trustworthy;
- 79.9% of respondents agree or strongly agree that communications are received from Hockinson School District in a timely manner; and
- 76.8% of respondents agree or strongly agree that communications received from Hockinson School District are transparent.
Hockinson Schools a variety of communications methods to best reach the diversity of families and students we serve. According to the Spring Communications Survey, automated messages such as emails and text messages are most valued by the families served by Hockinson School District. Automated messages are used to reach families quickly during school closure or emergency events. Automated text messages are also used to notify parents of time-sensitive or important emails. Electronic newsletters were also highly rated by respondents for less urgent school news. Other avenues for district communications currently being used include school meetings, backpack flyers, electronic newsletters, automated emails, automated phone calls, automated text messages, school website, social media, digital signs, printed newsletters, school calendar, school board meetings, and local news.
Communications from the Hockinson School District are constantly improving. Our district is committed to meeting the needs of district families and responding to feedback in a manner that benefits Hockinson School District students. In the 2022-23 school year, HSD will strive to:
- communicate in shorter, more concise email updates;
- improve transparency in electronic newsletters by sharing information as the district receives it and using plain language to explain school updates;
- continue to protect student and staff privacy while informing parents of on-campus accidents or emergency situations; and
- continue to reserve automated texts and calls only for emergencies, school closures, and targeted information.
Also, our schools and district will endeavor to build community by incorporating more teacher, program, and student features in our electronic newsletters.
In the 2022-23 school year, families can expect to find information about their student’s school through electronic and print avenues. All Hockinson schools generate multiple electronic newsletters a month and the Hockinson School District publishes bi-monthly electronic newsletters, which are delivered to families via email and can be translated into most all home languages. Three times per year (Winter-Spring-Summer) HSD families will receive a printed newsletter with information about relevant school programs, successes, and events. District information can always be found on the Hockinson School District website. Hockinson School District is on social media including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Most all of these communication platforms are used at the school level, too.
Hockinson School District prepares all students for lifelong success. The 2022 Hockinson School District Parent Communications Survey provided us with valuable insights for improving district communications and supporting our students and families. Moving forward, we want to continue to align district communications and programs with community needs and your input will help us continue to improve in these areas.